Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Small group evaluation day...

In the past, I've always dreaded evaluation day. It's not that I've received low marks...the comments are usually something like knowledgeable, dependable, hard-worker. These are all good traits to have...but I've always left feeling...well, I can't exactly put it into words.

I've changed a lot during medical school. No...not really my personality. I still love to have fun and be playful. I love cheesy jokes. I love to give people a hard time...all in fun, of course. But the way I view myself has changed. I've become less self conscious and more self-assured. I've learned to accept my imperfections. I've learned to rely ever more on God and less and less on me. I've learned to accept compliments. I've learned to receive service from others.

And then today came...and I was blown away by what my small group facilitators had to say. They still said that I was knowledgeable and dependable and hard-working, but they also told me about the leader I had become...that the group looked to me for guidance, encouragement, and criticism...that I understood that professionalism and fun can co-exist...and that they looked forward to working with my in the next couple of years.

They, of course, said a lot more...but I can't tell you everything. I'm smiling today. I'm smiling because God is changing me and growing me into the person I've longed to be. My prayer is that when people look to me that they won't actually see me...they will see Him, but He is using me, and I know that He will continue.

...He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Jesus Christ. - Philippians 1:6

1 comment:

Jen said...

Jeanine,

It is so awesome to read about how God is working in you. I feel compelled to tell you that I always saw you as a leader...not an "out in the front so everyone can see me leading" type of leader, but one who is gracious while getting the job done. I hope that makes sense. Of course, I am speaking from our church singles group perspective, not from a medical school standpoint. I guess I'm trying to say that the comments from your group do not surprise me at all. :-)