Monday, February 19, 2007

Tagged

So Erin tagged me several days ago, and here's my list.

6 Weird Things About Me

1. I like to refinish furniture. If I had more time, I'd probably have an entire place filled with refinished furniture. It's so satisfying to see a piece finished knowing that I did the stripping and sanding and repainting/varnishing. My buffet was my granny and papa's. My mom and I refinished it...there's something about giving an old piece of furniture new life. When I received the piece, it was stained and worn from decades and decades of use. It looks very different now. Then there's my dining room table and chairs. I received them for free in college, and then I abused them when I moved into an apartment that didn't have room for them. After two years in storage where they received some pretty major water damage, I revived them. What was once a white and birch colored table and chairs is now a rich walnut and black color.

2. I like to sit on the floor. I have furniture. I have a fabulous couch that sleeps like a dream. I have an over sized chair, and I have a rocking chair in my living room...but much of the time, I choose to sit on the floor. In fact, I'm sitting on the floor right now leaning against the chair.

3. I just started drinking coffee last summer.

4. I like meeting new people. This is new for me. And yes, I still very much enjoy my comfortable friends, but there's something about meeting someone new...learning that she loves kids and wants to teach pre-K or that he's a huge KU fan. I love seeing people in a new way and getting to know them...even if it's just for a moment.

5. I don't like wearing shoes. I prefer to go barefoot. I definitely wear shoes...in the hospital...in the mall...at the grocery store...anytime they are required, but I prefer to be without. The first thing I do when I get home or go over to a friend's house is take off my shoes.

6. I spell my name all the time. A friend pointed this out to me one night when we met for dinner. The hostess asked us for a name...we looked at each other and I said, "Jeanine...J-E-A-N-I-N-E." It really didn't matter if the hostess spelled my name correctly, but I've gotten so used to people asking me how to spell it that it's become automatic. I now make a conscious effort not to spell my name unless asked.

There you have it! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Keziah said...

Hey, we are quite similar in a few ways there. I'm currently sitting on the floor barefoot and always spell my name after saying it!

Anonymous said...

refinishing furniture! that sounds so grown-up. i like to decoupage...i am planning an end table now!

i prefer the floor too... except in the kitchen, i will take a chair.

its not when you started that counts, its that you do!

its good that you like meeting new people. i used to say that before my summer at HFBC! now i say, "i like new relationships." I never never never want to meet so many new people again without opportunity to develop relationships, ever!

barefoot is fabulous, or flip flops, but mostly because they are easy to take off and put back on.

thanks for sharing, that was fun!

Jeanine said...

Developing relationships is fantastic, too. Truly knowing people's hearts is...well...more often than not, I'm blown away. People are amazing.

I used to be apprehensive about going into groups where I didn't know anyone. I did it...I just would wait for people to come over and talk to me. This is changing. I've become more outgoing. I'm not really an extrovert, but I've come to a place where I am comfortable walking into a room of complete strangers and know that I'll meet a lot of new people and possibly even make a new friend.

Mookee said...

Maybe I'm a jerk, but everyone is not worth knowing. Granted, one can't know if they fit into that group (which for some may include me) until they've actually met the person, but sometimes I think to myself, "holy crap that guy is a ... jerk."

Like I said, perhaps it's me being referred to, but one can't appease everyone.

The problem is everyone is constantly changing all the time, only a very few friends that are so close they're more or less family will always be around, and if one isn't constantly meeting new people, they'll end up alone, in a literal sense.

It's a conundrum ... "waste" time not knowing if the new people are worthwhile, or don't and become that lonely guy in the corner.

Personally, I'll take the risk, so ignore this comment. I'd rather be hurt than not know.