Monday, November 13, 2006

Medical school is interfering with my ability to take drugs!

No...not that kind. I'm talking about the legal, over-the-counter kind. Now, everytime I pop a couple of Tylenol, I think about my liver and how I'm damaging my zone 1 hepatocytes. When I take Advil, I worry about my kidneys...Advil inhibits prostaglandin synthesis which means that the arterioles in my kidneys aren't able to dilate as they normally would, so I'm decreasing my renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate. Yeah...I just want to take something to get rid of the aches and pains.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so the question is...are you taking APAP and Ibu chronically or only ever so often (a couple this month...no need next month...a couple the month after that)? if the answer is chronic use (daily or 3-5x/week), are you really treating the underlying etiology of your problem or could you be taking something else?

if you are super concerned about decreased glomerular filtration, how do you feel about preserving afferent renal blood flow via chronic ACE-I use? i don't really recommend this approach because you are possibly treating a clinically irrelevant lab value but hey...it is an option.

Jeanine said...

So I'm only taking ibuprofen because of my own lack of gracefulness. On Saturday, I completely bit it 4 miles into a 10-12 mile run. At that point, I simply turned around, but I did run back. My hands hurt, my left elbow hurts, my left shoulder hurts, my knees, hurt, and my left thigh/hip hurts. I'm not exactly sure how I fell, but I know I slid along the asphalt for several feet. The pain is lessening, and I don't anticipate having to medicate myself much longer. I'll be back to running tomorrow.