Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I met someone new last night.

Normally, I run outside. I've always claimed that I have a fear of falling off of treadmills, but I decided that maybe they're not so bad after Saturday's little 'spill.' Besides, I wanted to watch Gilmore Girls and run, and I couldn't decide which I wanted to do more. Alas, I came up with the idea of going to the gym and running on the treadmill while watching Gilmore Girls. All my problems were solved.

I made it to the gym, hooked in my headphones, turned the TV to the CW, and started up the treadmill to settle into a nice 6 mph pace (yes, I realize it's not lightening speed).

About ten minutes later, I noticed her. There was a confidence about her. Each foot fall was sure. Her leg muscles grew more powerful with each stride. Her quadriceps exploded into definition with each step. With each breath, I could tell that she was cleansing herself. It was as if each new breath gave her new life. The muscles in her arms and shoulders showed themselves with each swing. Her jaw was soft, and the look on her face was one of determination. She was ready. She was prepared. She was strong.

And then it hit me...I was looking into a mirror.

So often I think of myself as weak, but with Christ, my strength doesn't matter because His is more than enough.

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
-- 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

No comments: