Monday, April 21, 2008

Becoming...

Somewhere between walking into Gross Anatomy for the first time and eventually walking across the stage as you're granted a Doctorate in Medicine, it hits you...and you realize that you are, in fact, becoming a doctor. You find yourself talking with interns, residents, and attendings as though they are colleagues. You begin to start conversations with "the literature says" or "according to a recent study." You realize you are so very far from knowing it all, and yet, you also know that you will continue to push yourself to determine what is best for your patients. You turn from seeing your patients as a diagnosis to seeing them as individuals...people with families...people with jobs...people who do so much more than just lie in the hospital bed in front of you. Becoming a doctor is a process, and I thank God for the opportunity to go through this process.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It is a process, and it's a beautiful process. This process is one that I still feel that I'm going through, and I only have a year and two months left in my residency. :-p

Keziah said...

Based on my viewing of ER and Scrubs to glean my knowledge of the American healthcare system, I am doing a Fellowship in Diabetes and Endocrinology (I am a Registrar in the NHS) and I STILL come home thinking, "Wow, I am a real doctor. How on earth did that happen?"