Monday, January 21, 2008

New Growth

I was tending to my plants this morning when I found new growth. The daffodil bulbs that I planted at the end of spring last year are starting to sprout forth. As I weeded my snapdragons, I had to be careful not to accidentally remove one of my new little plants. I don't know when they first sprouted, but they did. They grew. Seeing my new little plants reminded me of my life in Christ. So often I expect instant growth and change. I want to be made more Christ-like now. I want to be less selfish now. I want to be more giving, more loving, more fill-in-the blank...now. But that's not how it works. Growth in Christ isn't instantaneous. It takes time. And then one day I look back, and I can see the growth in my life. I can see where God's amazing grace has transformed yet another part of me.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Ecclesiastes 3:11a

No comments: