Monday, December 17, 2007

Really???!!!

I've been contemplating getting a new car. My car is paid off, which is nice, but I know that it's not going to last forever and I've been having to put more money than I'd like into it's up-keep...not so much that it's like making a car payment every month, but I don't want to get there. Anyway, I decided to check the Blue Book value of my car with the high mileage and everything...accounting for it's "good" (but not excellent) condition. My car is listed at around $6500...seriously???. I only paid $13,000 brand new and my car has 106,000 miles on it. I think something must be wrong.

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

I was thinking about buying a new car not too long ago. Kelly Blue Book said my car was "worth" $7,500. The dealership offered me $4,000 for it, saying, "A car is only worth what it is worth."

Jeanine said...

Yeah, I wouldn't expect to get that much, but I figured that the blue book value would be more like $2000 or so.

gL said...

Well unfortunately you often times have to haggle about the price of your trade in as well. You can also get more if you sell your car in the chron or on craigslist.

Jen said...

That is too funny! I'm actually buying a new car tomorrow, and part of the "haggle" has been about the trade in. "Blue book" says $16,500 (I have an Acura), but the most any dealer will give me is about $12,000. UGH! I think the whole "blue book" thing is messed up somehow. Have you tried Edmunds? Also, it's worth having CarMax give you an estimate. They are pretty good. Let me know what you end up doing! :-)