Friday, June 16, 2006

Warning: This post is a bit geeky!



Most of you know that I've been in the lab doing research for the past couple of weeks. I have a new found appreciation for people who enjoy research and desire to make it their life's work because I definitely don't. I'm a clinician at heart. I see the benefits of research and think that it is very necessary but...please just tell me how to apply the new information to my patients.

Anyway, this is a picture of what I've been looking at through the microscope for the past two weeks. It's typhus group Rickettsia inside infected cells. Rickettsia is a small gram negative obligate intracellular bacterium. It uses so much of a cell's own machinery to live that it's almost a virus. Before 1900, outbreaks of typhus caused by Rickettsia determined most major wars. Anne Frank died of typhus. Interestingly enough, the major signs/symptoms are fever and a headache. How vague is that???!!!

1 comment:

AyDubb said...

You are SO speaking my language of love... ;-)