Thursday, May 25, 2006

# 7 Cheese Ice Cream

Last weekend while walking in Poza Rica, I saw a street ice cream vendor. Since it was hot, I decided to take a gander at the offerings. There were 5 flavors: vanilla, coffee, strawberry, guava-melon, and cheese. Seriously...cheese. I really couldn't figure that one out, so I questioned further.

Me: What kind of cheese?
The ice cream lady: Fresh cheese.
Me: Really?
The ice cream lady: yes

I had already experienced fresh cheese at a restaurant. In Mexico, fresh cheese refers to a white cheese that is made daily...hence the name fresh. This white cheese has the texture of feta but has a very, very mild flavor.

I figured that since I was in Mexico I should try something new. I asked for a bite. It was actually really good. It tasted a lot like soft frozen cheesecake. Then it came to me...I got a scoop of the cheese ice cream and a scoop of the strawberry. It was like eating strawberry cheesecake...pure heaven.

So the moral of the story is:
If you are ever in Mexico, give cheese ice cream a chance.

No comments: