Monday, July 02, 2007

Things I've learned in the last week

1. Be careful with how much you put in your pockets...weighing down drawstring pants is not a good thing.
2. I learn best by seeing, hearing, and doing.
3. I love interacting with patients and their families.
4. If you go get coffee, be sure to ask your resident if he or she would like some...they usually need it more.
5. Danskos are my best friend.
6. Radiologists are super-helpful.
7. Stairs are faster than elevators.
8. Going to bed like I'm five is actually really nice.
9. Running is still one of my favorite activities.
10. If your resident or attending says you can go home for the day...don't argue.
11. Introduce yourself to everyone...most people respond well to smiles and handshakes.
12. I have a lot to learn...seriously...how do Mark and Sarah do it?!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Danskos continue to be a great friend of mine even after 3 years! :)

I promise that this gets easier. I cried on my first call night as a 3rd year med student b/c I was so stressed out!! And there will ALWAYS be more to learn ... I'm 1/3 of the way through residency, and I can't believe how much stuff I still have to learn in the next two years. I have a feeling that the rest of my life will be a continuous endeavor to learn!

Oh yeah, your comment about the coffee -- so true! It will earn you the adoration of your residents forever. :)