Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Running...

I've taken my running to a new level. No...I'm not running sub-six minute miles...at least not yet, but I have incorporated some new things into my routine. Or as one man I know would say...I've nerded it up.

I now know how much water I lose for every mile I run...8 ounces. That's about normal. Some people lose more. Some people lose less. I happen to be about normal. I can also tell you how many electrolytes I lose when I run. I'll spare you the details, but I'm now rehydrating with more than just water. Hydrating involves mixing and measuring and way more than just taking a swig from a water fountain. I've also calculated how many calories I burn per mile...definitely not enough to warrant the three times I had ice cream in the past two weeks...but ah...it was heavenly.

But nothing in this new level of running changes one of the main reasons I enjoy it. When I come back from a long run and am completely drenched with sweat, all the little hairs that have fallen out of my ponytail...all the little wispy hairs...are in ringlets. Yep, they are completely curly. Now, I'm fairly certain that no man would ever appreciate this...me being drenched with sweat or the fact that it makes my hair curly...but I'm going to continue running anyway.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Jeanine! I've been trying to catch up on your blog. A second marathon, huh? Wow! Sounds like you've learned a lot. I am currently training to do the Disneyland Half Marathon on Labor Day (at 6 am!!). I'll be walking it, though. Any advice?? Oh, and are you drinking Gatorade along with water? Just curious. :-)

Jeanine said...

My advice is to train and remember to have fun with it. If it's not fun...there's no use in doing it. Also...I haven't yet found the perfect fluid replacement for me. Gatorade and Powerade...well...the give me the runs when I run...yes...I know...TMI.