Monday, December 04, 2006

God's love -- it's a gift!

So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed only a few days to him because of he love he had for her. -- Genesis 29:20

This is one of my favorite verses. Actually, the story of Jacob and Rachel is one of my favorite stories in the bible. No, it's not because it's a "love story." Actually, Rachel reminds me of who I am.

Rachel is intensely loyal but also envious, competitive and even dishonest. However, one of her biggest weaknesses was failing to realize Jacob's love for her. Jacob served a total of 14 years for her and loved her more than Leah. Jacob's love for Rachel wasn't dependent on her giving him children or actually on any "work" she did for him. His love for her was based on God's will, commitment, and patience. Somehow though, Rachel lost sight of that and began competing for Jacob's love...something he had already given her.

How often do I forget that God doesn't love me because of what I can do for Him but simply because I am His child? God's love for me doesn't stop if I fall asleep while I'm praying or if I slip up and act like a jerk. I cannot earn His love. He has already given it to me freely.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -- Romans 5:8

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. -- Ephesians 2:8-9

"God loves us! His love had no beginning and is incredibly patient. All we need to do is respond, not try to earn what is freely offered. God has said in many ways, 'I love you. I have demonstrated that love to you by all I've done for you. I have even sacrificed my Son, Jesus, to pay the price for what is unacceptable about you -- your sin. Now, live because of my love. Respond to me; love me with your whole being; give yourself to me in thanksgiving, not as payment.' Live life fully, in the freedom of knowing you are loved." -- Life Application

You are loved!

No comments: