Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Empathy...

I have a small group discussion on empathy tomorrow...Enjoy!

Fred Astaire: What's empathicalism?
Audrey Hepburn: Is the most sensible approach to true understanding and peace of mind.
Astaire: But what is it?
Hepburn: It's based on empathy. Do you know that empathy means?
Astaire: No, I'll have to have the beginner's course on that one. Empathy...is it something like sympathy?
Hepburn: Oh, it goes beyond sympathy. Sympathy is to understand what someone feels. Empathy is to project your imagination so that you actually feel what the other person is feeling. You put yourself in the other person's place. Do I make myself clear?
[Astaire kisses Hepburn and she, outraged, demands to know why.]
Astaire: Empathy. I put myself in your place and felt you wanted to be kissed.
Hepburn: You were in the wrong place.

Funny Face (1957)

No comments: