Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Benefits of the short white coat

1. It keeps me warm. As a person who tends to become chilled easily, I appreciate the added layer of warmth.

2. It protects my clothes. My white coat, which can easily be bleached, has taken many hits and successfully saved my clothing. It's held up to several cups of coffee, sodas, condiments, and sauces like a champ.

3. There are many pockets. Pockets are great. They hold stuff. However, putting an overabundance of items in my pants pockets leaves me looking...well, less than attractive. Fortunately, I am saved by the pockets in white coat. My pockets hold things like my cell phone, wallet, pens, pencils, highlighters, trauma shears, notepads, BMI wheel, pregnancy wheel, tuning fork, reflex hammer, pen light, several books, extra paperwork, and sometimes my pager. Wow! No wonder it's so heavy.

and 4. The length tells people my status. They know when they see my short white coat that I am still a student. It's quite helpful. They don't ask me questions that they know I can't answer or expect me to be able to write orders.

In just 16 short months, I'll have to trade in my short white coat for a long one...with fewer pockets...what will I do?

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

It sounds to me like you will hold less items and answer more questions!

Nathan said...

I called it the "short white coat of shame" as a med student. What you discover as an intern is that the longer coat is actually just about as heavy, and it's tough to sit down with it on. Interesting too, that you appreciate the coat for its warmth. I'm always too warm, so I roll the sleeves back on my coat to about mid-forearm, which has the added benefits of a) looking cool and b) keeping my cuffs out of any surprising infectious contact.