Monday, August 20, 2007

Depraved

and sometimes the depravity of my own soul hits me square between the eyes...

All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you.
I never had a selfless thought since I was born.
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through;
I want God, you, all friends, merely to serve my turn.

Peace, reassurance, pleasure, are the goals I seek,
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin;
I talk of love - a scholar's parrot may talk Greek -
But, self-imprisoned, always end where I begin.

~ C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is it a little sick that that brought me comfort. I have so been feeling this hopelessness of ever overcoming myself to truly love others... realizing even my service is more about me than Him... but CS struggling through the same makes me feel more merely human than uniquely incapable.

thanks for posting.